cross

cross

Friday, June 19, 2015

It's a nice quiet morning here in Minneapolis. It's just Roy the dog and myself sipping coffee (Roy chose not to partake) and catching up on the computer. Today is going to start out slow and then finish with a rush. The plan is to get the team out for a ride this morning at 10:30 and then race tonight at 7:50PM. That means it will be another late night by time we race, feed the guys, and drive back home. The race is 40 laps so it will be fast and furious the whole time.

Today my job is to get the bikes out this morning and wash/inspect the bikes before they ride(I get to ride too!!!). After the ride there a few mechanical issues I need to look at before we load the trailer up and leave for the race. Once we arrive at the race I'll set up the tent and chairs, unload and prep bikes, get spare bikes and wheels to the wheel pit, and then it's race time! Once the race is over I load it all up and look for food!

Heath attacking with 2 to go on the finishing circuits.

One of my jobs during a road stage is to write down information as it comes over race radio. I have a rider list so I can tell  our director who's scoring points in the KOM or Sprint competitions. We also get the numbers of riders in the break so we can relay information to our riders when they come back to the car for bottles.

Alberto was right on the front of the group on the finishing circuits. Elevate is in the red helmets with blue/black kits.

My friend Joe Schmalz is racing here for his team Hincapie Racing. He crashed in yesterdays criterium and lost a ton of time so his only goal is to win a stage. He made a valiant effort today but came up short.

My view from the back seat of the car rolling along in the caravan.

Gus studying the course pre-meeting

Gustavo Carrillo is our Director for the race. He's been in the bike racing world as long as myself. We can talk about the old days when I first started racing. He's been directing teams for quite a while and works with USA Cycling, the Columbian National team, and many others. Needless to say, I'm learning a few new tricks.

Well that's what I have for today, time to get to work. 

No comments: