cross

cross

Saturday, November 14, 2009

USGP Mercer Cup NJ

If you looked at the picture below you would think that I didn't finish the race. Here's the story.......... I got a great start and was in a group of 5 that got a huge separation from the group in 2 laps. Just before the pit I hear a huge crunch and my rear wheel locked up. Not good, I look down to see my derailleur wrapped around my rear wheel. Since we are traveling by plane I don't have a spare bike, and since Chris is racing the race after mine Bill was helping him. No pit bike or person to work the pit. Not a big deal, we are really here for Logan, Joe, and Chris anyway. Back to the race, threw my bike on my shoulder and ran to the pit, hopped on a SRAM Support bike and got going. Only one problem, it has flat pedals! I had no idea what place I was in so I kept racing hoping to stay in the points. So for 4 laps I rode a super muddy course trying to keep my feet on the pedals. After the race I hoped that I stayed in the top 15 or so. I was stunned to see that I got 7th! Overall I felt pretty good so I just wonder what could of been. In the Jrs race Chris was 14th as the mud just got deeper. As you can see in the picture above the Women's elite racing while we got set up for the Elite race. Meridith got the most aggressive rider award for coming from way back to finish 3rd, Pretty darn impressive. Then she was in the pit for the men's Elite race working for her team riders. This is definitely a team sport in many ways. As far as the Elite race goes..... I just don't have much to report. I was so busy that I never got a chance to see any of the race. I guess Trebon won with Johnson 2nd.

We had Joe and Logan in the Elite race. Bill decided that it would be best if he sat this one out as it was going to be tough to keep clean bikes under Joe and Logan every half lap. He was right, it was all that we could do to have the bikes ready for them with 3 of us working the pit.

I'm tired and we still need to do laundry. More tomorrow.

No comments: