cross

cross

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Gateway Day 3, Tue Worlds, & Cross Clinic


The last day of Gateway Cup was held in a southern suburb of Benton Park. Pretty nice area right off of I-55 and right next to the Budweiser plant. The course is a new one this year but looked to be pretty cool, 1.7 mi with 10 turns. We got to the venue a little early to check out the course and it was going to be fun.....and really hard. Definitely a race to be near the front as long as possible.

The race started with 137 riders and I heard that it didn't take long for people to start popping off the back. I got a pretty bad start and ended up way further back than I wanted to be. For the first 30 min or so of the race I kept working my up to get near the front of the field. Finally I got up into the top 15 and coming around the last turn I was on the wheel of a Kenda Pro rider. He was following an attack up the side of the group and I followed him all the way up the hill into the first turn. Now this is good and bad, good is that I made the break, bad is that I got popped out of the break 1 turn later. Mow the problem is that I'm totally gassed and the field is in full chase mode. There was no chance that I could recover in time for me to hang on to the field. I tried to stay on but after 2 laps of dangling I finally popped. I figured that I'd keep on riding just to try and get some fitness. Little did I know that only 40 or so of the riders that started finished the race. I made it to 10 laps to go before I got pulled .

Overall I would have to say that it was a good weekend of racing. My teammates all had good races and after doubling up in the Pro 1-2 and Masters races I did 6 races in 4 days. I would think that would do something for my fitness.


Yea, it was like that just about every Pro 1-2 race. Mouth open and looking for more air, even the Kenda Pro guys were doing it.
Tue Nite Worlds Results:
  1. Shadd Smith
  2. Mark Cole
  3. Christian Beattie
  4. Scott Stevens
  5. Jeff Seese

Final Overall Points:

Shadd Smith 76
Mark Cole 39
Joe Schmalz 36
Nick Coil 20
Christain Beattie 17
Phil Gronniger 13
Andy Chocha 11
David Hedjuk 11
Bill Marshall 10
Andrew Coe 9
Ben Stover 8
Tom Price 7
Jason Knight 7
Scott Stevens 7
Paul Fancher 6
Matt Ochs 5
Walt Bleser 5
Brian Bradley 4
Matt Ankeny 4
Brian Jensen 3
Steve Songer 3
Josh Crow 2
Bill Stolte 2
Joe Houston 2
Doug Plumer 2
Adam Mills 2
John Pahlman 2
Pete Greig 2
Jeff Seese 2
Doug Obershaw 1
Last but not least...............the road season is officially over, NOW IT'S TIME FOR CROSS!!!!!!!!!!!
On that note this Saturday is the Source Endurance/KCCX Cross Clinic. The plan is to give a little more emphasis on how to go fast along with some basic skills. Should be fun so come on out.
Having a little trouble with the flyer, check it out here.

No comments: