Monday, November 29, 2010

Jingle Cross Day 3

It's going to have to be a quick post this morning. Too much to do and too little time. Got home last night early enough to get laundry started and then get to bed. Today it's time to reset all of the teams equipment in the trailer, add in all of the Nebraska crews equipment and a few other bikes ect. Then reload all of my clothes for 2 weeks on the road.

Where to start....... My last post was Saturday night right after this picture was taken. Jill, Adam, and Joe from our crew are pictured as well as Meridith and Cody from the Cal Giant/Specialized team. It didn't take long for the crowd in the hall to grow and there were some beverages being consumed, pretty soon it was getting loud. This is where I bailed out but the story is that the hotel manager came up and said they were too loud. You would think that would be the end of the story but the manager told them to follow her down to the 2nd floor where they could make all the noise they wanted. Pretty smart manager if you ask me. The stories of the evenings events came out all day Sunday and you might be surprised by the names of those involved but I won't mention any to protect the not so innocent.

So back to Sunday. I knew we were in trouble when we woke up and the lake outside the hotel had a layer of ice on it. Brrrrrrrrr, it was cold. That means there would be frozen ruts on the course. Sure enough, he course changes included a new downhill that was part of Fridays course. When I tried to ride it it was so slick I just stopped at the top because of all of the bodies on the ground. When I tried to walk down it and the hill was so slick I about killed myself. It didn't take long for the officials to decide to take out the dangerous part of the course until later in the day and let the Pro's ride it when it thawed.

Matt and I on the flyover in Saturdays race. Yea, it's that steep. The stairs on the other side are just as steep.

In the 35+/45+ race Matt and Bill rode hard in the 35+ race. It sounds like Matt could of had it won if he hadn't had a tangle with the course tape and had a high speed crash. He recovered to pullout a stellar 3rd place. Bill suffered the same fate as Matt with the course tape and went down hard. He still got up to finish 6th and was pretty bruised and battered in the end. In the 45+ race I also ran into a few patches of bad gravity and hit the deck. The darn course tape got the best of me as well and at one point grabbed my bike and wouldn't let go. I heard that a number of people went down due to the wind blowing the course tape into their bikes. The darn stuff wouldn't break and down you go. Anyway, in my race I got into the lead, got caught up in the tape, took down about 30ft of the course tape, poles, ect. and had to stop and get untangled. Once I got going I managed to get crash in the mud one turn later and take down the tape and poles in another corner. After that I decided that I had enough of the crashes and it was time to settle down and focus. In the end I had to chase down Andy Lucas from the 360 team in KC who was leading. Once I caught him we rode together until he bobbled in a corner and crashed. That gave me a gap and I manage to win for the 3rd day in a row.

So that leads in to the last round of the USGP series where I'm currently 2nd overall and then Nationals. I'm repeating the results from last year with 4 wins in the last 4 races so I'm hoping the the form is going to hold for the next 2 weeks. Considering my coach Adam from Source Endurace has been on damage control for the past 2 months due to all of my injuries I'm going to consider myself lucky at this point.

The KCCX crew hit's the road tomorrow so look for posts from the road both here and on face book, I'll try to update as often as I can. I leave you with this from Jingle Cross. For more just go to U-Tube and type in Jingle Cross 2010. Just imagine the carnage if the hooligans from Lincoln met up with this crew!

No comments: