Saturday, May 26, 2012

Bike the Bricks

What a weird race. The day started off OK with Jason and I heading out for the 8 hr drive from KC to McKinney Texas. The drive went by pretty fast and we arrived in plenty of time to get ready to race. Our first issue was that there really wasn't any place to get food before we raced. Plenty of restaurants around, just nothing we could eat before race time. So we got some coffee and muffins and got ready to race. The race it self is set up different from what we are used to. For whatever reason the Pro-1 race was run before the 2-3 race. On top of that the start time was 10:10pm, I think that is the latest I've ever started a race in all the years I've been racing. So we get started and I was pretty far back in the field. It took a few laps but the pace slowed and I started to work my way to the front. Unfortunately, there was a crash near the front of the race and as I skirted around the pile of bikes and bodies  I see Logan trying to get up. I asked him if he was OK and he nodded so I kept going. A few laps later I was near the front when the bell rang for a prime lap and I heard Logan say that he was on my wheel. With a half a lap to go I hit the front and led him out for the sprint. He won it and we were off and running.

This is where it gets a little strange. I was floating around the field and occasionally I would see Jack(Jack Funk is guest riding for Mercy this weekend) but Logan had disappeared. With about 8 laps to go there were 2 riders aray and I thought Adam told me Logan was up the road. In the end it was actually Jack but in any case I spent 3 laps blocking at the front and was totally gassed for the end of the race. It was a bummer but that's the way it goes. After the race Jason and I rolled around a lap or 2 before we went back to the van.

To my surprise when I got there the van was gone. I figured it got towed but instead it had been used to take Logan to the hospital. I guess he hit his head in the crash and started to get dizzy later in the race. They said that he was totally disoriented when he got to the car so they took him to the medics on site and then decided to transport him to the hospital.

So here I am, sitting in the waiting room at the hospital while the necessary tests are done. It's currently 1:30 in the morning and I doubt we will be leaving any time soon. Sure glad we race early tomorrow. Looks like I'll be switching from the 2-3  to the Pro 1-2 race tomorrow so I can race a few hours later.

I am sooooooo tired right now.

No comments: